Dieng is a collection of temples located in the mountain, Wonosobo, Central Java. Dieng temple complex occupies a plateau at an altitude of 2093 meters above sea level, extends from north to south about 1900 meters with a width of 800 meters.
Dieng temples were built between the expected end of the 7th century AD is the oldest temple in Java. Experts estimate that these temples were built by the kings of the Sanjaya dynasty. In Dieng was discovered a stone inscription dated 808 AD, is the oldest inscription reads ancient Javanese script. A statue of Shiva are found in the area is now kept in the National Museum in Jakarta. Dieng Temple probably was built in two phases. The first phase began in the late 7th century BC to the 8th century AD, which includes the construction of Arjuna, Semar, Puntodewo, and Gatutkaca temples. The second stage is a continuation of the first phase, which lasted until 780 AD.
Dieng Temple was first discovered in 1814. At that time a British soldier who was traveled to the area to see a bunch Dieng temple submerged in a pool of water. In 1956, Van Kinsbergen led efforts to draining the lake where the temple is located. Efforts drying followed by the Dutch Government in 1864, followed by recording and taking pictures by Van Kinsbergen. Temple in Dieng area is divided into 3 groups and 1 individual temple named after a character in the puppet story from the Mahabharata. The three groups of temples are: Group Arjuna, Dwarawati Group, Group Gatutkaca and one stand alone temple is Bima temple.