Sukuh temple is located on the western slopes of the mountain Lawu, precisely in Berjo village, Ngargoyoso, Karanganyar regency. Location of Sukuh temple is on altitude of 910 above sea level. Sukuh found in a collapsed state in 1815 by Johnson, resident of Surakarta reigned by of Raffles. Then Sukuh was studied by Van der Vlis in 1842 and the results reported in a book titled Van der Vlis Prove Eener Beschrijten Soekoeh op en Tjeto. Research temple was followed by Hoepermans in 1864 until 1867 and reported in his book Hindoe Oudheiden van Java. Later in 1889, Verbeek held Sukuh inventory of the temple and continued with research by WF Stutterheim and Knebel in 1910.
Sukuh temple was probably built in the late 15th century AD. The architecture Sukuh slightly deviate from provisions of guidelines in the book manufacturing Hindu shrine of Wastu Widya. According to the rules, a temple should be laid out square base with the most holy place situated in the middle. Irregularities, allegedly caused Sukuh built during the waning influence of Hinduism in Java. It seems to revive local cultural elements of the Megalithic era. The effect can be seen from the prehistoric era building form is Sukuh terraces. Such forms of temple like Punden building terraces that are characteristic of sacred buildings in the pre-Hindu. Another distinctive feature shrine pre-Hindu is the most holy place situated very high.
Supposedly experts, Sukuh built for the purpose, which is deter bad forces that affect a person's life due to certain characteristics they have. The assumption is based on the reliefs containing re-care stories, such Sudamala and Garudheya, statues of turtles and eagle Sukuh contained in it.